Posted on October 30th, 2008 in | Comments Off
About the NCP
The National Council of Priests is an Australia wide organisation of Catholic clergy – bishops, priests and deacons – who join together to support each other in their priestly ministry. Founded in 1970 in the Spirit of Vatican II, the NCP is committed to the fraternity and further education of clergy and to representing all clergy in the public forum. The NCP is acknowledged by the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference.
The Objects and Purposes of the Council
- To promote a spirit of fraternity among members and other clerics of the Catholic Church in Australia.
- To devise ways and means for members and others to better serve the people to whom they are called to minister.
- To provide a forum for the exchange of ideas and to promote the spirit of ecumenism and to establish ecumenical links.
- To effect a liaison with other national bodies of religious men and women and with national bodies of laity.
- To maintain contact with similar associations.
- To be a consultative body to the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference.
Activities & Initiatives
- Works at building links between Australian clergy – bishops, priests and deacons.
- Publishes a quarterly magazine The Swag which is available to all clergy and lay people. The Swag is also available at– http://theswag.org.au
- Publishes a quarterly news bulletin which is sent to all members (post or email).
- Members Only web site – http://nationalcouncilofpriests.com.au
- Represents clergy at the annual meeting of the Bishops Commission for Church Ministry.
- Joins with Catholic Religious Australia leaders and members at their annual conference.
- Sponsors a biennial NCP Convention to which all clergy are invited.
- Sponsors the ongoing education of NCP members through bursaries.
- Publishes on the NCP Members website the Clergy Contact List which is updated monthly.
- Maintains an active interest in Clergy Renewal.
- Promotes research associated with creative pastoral programmes.
- Initiated and supports the Australian Catholic Clergy Remuneration Assistance Fund (ACCRAF) which assists clergy working in poorer Australian dioceses.
- Is a founding member and committee member of the International Committee of English Speaking Priests.
- Publishes The Official Directory of the Catholic Church of Australia - print and online.
- Works with and financially supports the National Association of Deacons (permanent deacons).
Contact the NCP
PO Box 295, Belmont VIC 3216
Ph: (03) 5244 3680 Fax: (03) 5244 4762